Mar 1, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Is it just me, or has Tomas Kaberle been involved in trade rumors his entire career. It’s only natural, considering he’s a high-quality player employed by a team that has struggled mightily and has not made the playoffs since before the NHL lockout.
This season has been no exception. With the Maple Leafs hard up against the cap and Brian Burke working on revamping this team, a Kaberle trade could bring Toronto some much-needed value and even more future assets. Yet it seems as if any possibility of Kaberle getting traded has gone up in smoke, as he maintains that he will not be lifting his no-trade clause this season.
That’s at least the latest impression from Kaberle who reiterated
Sunday his much-repeated stance of remaining in blue and white beyond
the March 3rd trade deadline.
“I hope so,” Kaberle said of staying with the Leafs through March
3rd. “Nothing changed on my side so we’ll see.”
Of course, Kaberle could be bluffing and waive the clause at the last minute, giving Burke a list of acceptable teams on Wednesday morning and then reveling in the chaos that he’s caused. But unlike last season, when he gave a list of ten teams yet stayed with the team after a deal fell though, it appears as if Kaberle is set to actually stay in Toronto and it fine with it.
Maybe he feels that the Leafs are about to finally take off and improve. Perhaps he sees what Burke did with Team USA and decided that his GM might actually know what he’s doing. Perhaps he just doesn’t want to move. Whatever the case is, it appears as if the top defenseman on the trade market that teams will be targeting has been taken out of the mix.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)