Mar 1, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
Let the trades begin.
The first move of the 2010 NHL Trade Deadline was indeed made by the
Florida Panthers, which is who CBC Sports’ Jeff Marek opined might be the case last
night on Twitter. Jordan Leopold has been traded by the Panthers to the
Pittsburgh Penguins, in exchange for a 2010 second-round draft pick,
according to George Richards from On Frozen Pond.
It’s also a nice pickup by the Penguins who are tight against the cap and need to make space, so there’s going to have to be another move made. The Pens now have eight defensemen under contract, and there’s a good chance that Alex Goligoski is the one to go.
Leopold is scheduled to become a free agent this summer, after signing a one-year contract last summer.
If you remember, Leopold was part if the trade that sent Jay Bouwmeester
to the Calgary Flames. So, in exchange for losing one of the top
defensemen in the NHL, the Panthers have essentially acquired a second
and third-round draft pick overall (the third rounder was used last year
to pick up Josh Birkholz of the USHL). That’s some tough moves for Randy Sexton and the Panthers, losing two quality defensemen at the deadline for essentially a hope they can draft well.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)