Mar 1, 2010, 10:05 AM EST
Let the trades begin.
The first move of the 2010 NHL Trade Deadline was indeed made by the
Florida Panthers, which is who CBC Sports’ Jeff Marek opined might be the case last
night on Twitter. Jordan Leopold has been traded by the Panthers to the
Pittsburgh Penguins, in exchange for a 2010 second-round draft pick,
according to George Richards from On Frozen Pond.
It’s also a nice pickup by the Penguins who are tight against the cap and need to make space, so there’s going to have to be another move made. The Pens now have eight defensemen under contract, and there’s a good chance that Alex Goligoski is the one to go.
Leopold is scheduled to become a free agent this summer, after signing a one-year contract last summer.
If you remember, Leopold was part if the trade that sent Jay Bouwmeester
to the Calgary Flames. So, in exchange for losing one of the top
defensemen in the NHL, the Panthers have essentially acquired a second
and third-round draft pick overall (the third rounder was used last year
to pick up Josh Birkholz of the USHL). That’s some tough moves for Randy Sexton and the Panthers, losing two quality defensemen at the deadline for essentially a hope they can draft well.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)