Mar 1, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
Let the trades begin.
The first move of the 2010 NHL Trade Deadline was indeed made by the
Florida Panthers, which is who CBC Sports’ Jeff Marek opined might be the case last
night on Twitter. Jordan Leopold has been traded by the Panthers to the
Pittsburgh Penguins, in exchange for a 2010 second-round draft pick,
according to George Richards from On Frozen Pond.
It’s also a nice pickup by the Penguins who are tight against the cap and need to make space, so there’s going to have to be another move made. The Pens now have eight defensemen under contract, and there’s a good chance that Alex Goligoski is the one to go.
Leopold is scheduled to become a free agent this summer, after signing a one-year contract last summer.
If you remember, Leopold was part if the trade that sent Jay Bouwmeester
to the Calgary Flames. So, in exchange for losing one of the top
defensemen in the NHL, the Panthers have essentially acquired a second
and third-round draft pick overall (the third rounder was used last year
to pick up Josh Birkholz of the USHL). That’s some tough moves for Randy Sexton and the Panthers, losing two quality defensemen at the deadline for essentially a hope they can draft well.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)