Mar 1, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
Let the trades begin.
The first move of the 2010 NHL Trade Deadline was indeed made by the
Florida Panthers, which is who CBC Sports’ Jeff Marek opined might be the case last
night on Twitter. Jordan Leopold has been traded by the Panthers to the
Pittsburgh Penguins, in exchange for a 2010 second-round draft pick,
according to George Richards from On Frozen Pond.
It’s also a nice pickup by the Penguins who are tight against the cap and need to make space, so there’s going to have to be another move made. The Pens now have eight defensemen under contract, and there’s a good chance that Alex Goligoski is the one to go.
Leopold is scheduled to become a free agent this summer, after signing a one-year contract last summer.
If you remember, Leopold was part if the trade that sent Jay Bouwmeester
to the Calgary Flames. So, in exchange for losing one of the top
defensemen in the NHL, the Panthers have essentially acquired a second
and third-round draft pick overall (the third rounder was used last year
to pick up Josh Birkholz of the USHL). That’s some tough moves for Randy Sexton and the Panthers, losing two quality defensemen at the deadline for essentially a hope they can draft well.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)