Mar 1, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
All season long the Philadelphia Flyers have been involved in trade
rumors, from goaltender help to forward depth to even the need for a new
defenseman. Only one problem: they have had zero cap room.
the past few days the Flyers have made a series of moves to free up cap
room, waiving Riley Cote and Danny Syvret, while placing Ray Emery on
long-term injured reserve. They now have close to $2.7 million in space
to work with, so now the trade rumors actually have some legs.
first thought, especially with Emery on IR, is that the Flyers might
actually trade for a goaltender after months of speculation. Yet Travis
Hughes of Broad Street Hockey
tells me that unless it’s perhaps Tomas Vokoun, the Flyers look to be
set with Michael Leighton in goal.
also has their own list of players under that $2.7 million cap:
Are you a fan of recklessly starting rumors? Me too. Here are a
list of players making $2.7 million or less and who will be UFA at the
end of the season: , , , , , , , , and .
The general consensus was that the Flyers should acquire a forward,
but a couple defensemen have been named in connection to the Flyers -
mainly, Dan Hamhuis.
The Flyers made space for a trade. The Predators acquired a veteran
defenseman, so that they could trade Hamhuis. Could this be the perfect
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 7
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)