Mar 1, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
All season long the Philadelphia Flyers have been involved in trade
rumors, from goaltender help to forward depth to even the need for a new
defenseman. Only one problem: they have had zero cap room.
the past few days the Flyers have made a series of moves to free up cap
room, waiving Riley Cote and Danny Syvret, while placing Ray Emery on
long-term injured reserve. They now have close to $2.7 million in space
to work with, so now the trade rumors actually have some legs.
first thought, especially with Emery on IR, is that the Flyers might
actually trade for a goaltender after months of speculation. Yet Travis
Hughes of Broad Street Hockey
tells me that unless it’s perhaps Tomas Vokoun, the Flyers look to be
set with Michael Leighton in goal.
also has their own list of players under that $2.7 million cap:
Are you a fan of recklessly starting rumors? Me too. Here are a
list of players making $2.7 million or less and who will be UFA at the
end of the season: , , , , , , , , and .
The general consensus was that the Flyers should acquire a forward,
but a couple defensemen have been named in connection to the Flyers -
mainly, Dan Hamhuis.
The Flyers made space for a trade. The Predators acquired a veteran
defenseman, so that they could trade Hamhuis. Could this be the perfect
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 8
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24