Mar 1, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
All season long the Philadelphia Flyers have been involved in trade
rumors, from goaltender help to forward depth to even the need for a new
defenseman. Only one problem: they have had zero cap room.
the past few days the Flyers have made a series of moves to free up cap
room, waiving Riley Cote and Danny Syvret, while placing Ray Emery on
long-term injured reserve. They now have close to $2.7 million in space
to work with, so now the trade rumors actually have some legs.
first thought, especially with Emery on IR, is that the Flyers might
actually trade for a goaltender after months of speculation. Yet Travis
Hughes of Broad Street Hockey
tells me that unless it’s perhaps Tomas Vokoun, the Flyers look to be
set with Michael Leighton in goal.
also has their own list of players under that $2.7 million cap:
Are you a fan of recklessly starting rumors? Me too. Here are a
list of players making $2.7 million or less and who will be UFA at the
end of the season: , , , , , , , , and .
The general consensus was that the Flyers should acquire a forward,
but a couple defensemen have been named in connection to the Flyers -
mainly, Dan Hamhuis.
The Flyers made space for a trade. The Predators acquired a veteran
defenseman, so that they could trade Hamhuis. Could this be the perfect
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)